Thursday, July 11, 2019

"PROJECT X" FIELD OF VISION


A fascinating short documentary based upon a Top Secret NSA handbook that was discovered among the vast collection of files and information "freed" by Edward Snowden. It doesn't really contain anything we didn't already know, but it's an intriguing glimpse into the institutional aesthetics of the American intelligence community, right down to the brutalist architecture of the Project X building at 33 Thomas street in New York, NY, an imposing and (according to Tom Hanks) downright terrifying building that formerly sat in the shadows of the Word Trade Center's Twin Towers. Esquire's Keith Flamer describes the building thusly:
The tower is 550-feet high but only 29 stories tall due to its nearly 20-foot double-height floor-to-ceiling interiors. It also has three sub-basement levels. Labeled “Project X” in Warnecke’s original architectural drawings, it was designed as “a skyscraper to be inhabited by machines.” Today, the former long distance telephone and telegraph hub operates primarily as a fortified, high security corporate data complex (and alleged covert government nerve center) with powerful computers, cables, switchboards and “big brother” surveillance equipment.
A skyscraper to be inhabited by machines, eh? And this was built a fairly long time ago, too... in the heyday of the technocrats and in the early days of cybernetics. So much so that the documentary above would make a decent companion piece, or appendix, to Lutz Dammbeck's documentary The Net: The Unabomber, LSD and the Internet., for which I wrote an in-depth concordance a little while back.

1 comment:

  1. I am Doctor Paul I got effected with HIV in the process of attending to my HIV patient I tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HIV virus, at first I doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when I contact this herbalist via his email blessedlovetemple@gmail.com and he prepared a HIV herbal cure and sent it to me via fed-ex delivery company service, when I received this herbal cure, he gave me step by directions on how to apply it, when I applied it as instructed, I was totally cured of this deadly disease within 5 days of usage, I am now free from the deadly disease called HIV, all thanks to Dr Mark. Contact this great herbal spell caster. Kindly contact him. (blessedlovetemple@gmail.com)
    he cure all kinds of sickness or diseases such as: 1. HERPES VIRUS 2. LASSA FEVER 3. GONORRHEA 4. HIV/AID 5. EX BACK.
    Thanks Dr Mark for saving my life.

    ReplyDelete