- Russian forces entering the ruins of Aleppo in Syria are finding mass graves, deadly traps, and evidence of torture.
- According to an elections expert who helped design a widely adopted, comprehensive method for evaluating the quality of elections and democratic representation around the globe, North Carolina no longer qualifies as a fully functioning democracy.
- In a move surprising no one, Israel is ignoring last week's UN resolution and moving ahead with construction of more settlements on occupied Palestinian land.
A DEEPER DIVE
- With his disgusting, cowardly, and counterfactual claims that Russia is a "vibrant" and "tolerant" place for journalists--pro-tip: it's not--Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has finally jumped the shark, irreversibly exposing himself as one of Putin's growing army of useful Western idiots. As if his disgusting use of Seth Rich's murder as a prop in his political pantomime wasn't sufficient evidence of that. You know, on second thought, maybe those rape accusations aren't so bogus after all...
QUOTE OF THE DAY
"All I want for Christmas is White Genocide."
- Putting the lie to the idea that it's liberals who are the victim culture special snowflakes "par excellence", the alt.right noosphere exploded with outrage (most of it fake, but some of it genuine) over an obviously satirical Tweet by Drexel professor George Cicciariello-Miller, which was meant to call attention to one of the more ridiculous alt.right tropes to find purchase in the diseased conservative psyche of late. Now, despite constantly lamenting the tyranny of PC and warning about "public shaming" culture, they're trying to get the guy fired. Hypocrisy, Thy Name is Conservatism!
- The World Bank and IMF are born today. Read all about it, and more, in today's Paracultural Calendar, over at the Useless Eater Blog!
I had a dinner to go to, so it's a short one. Sorry!