Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A MUSICAL EDUCATION IN 1001 STEPS - PT 15

Tito Puente - Dance Mania Volume 1 (1957)

Okay, you can pretty much tell from the title that this one isn't exactly gonna be strolling down yer old pal Jerky's alley. This is Big Band Mambo from the undisputed KING of Big Band Mambo, so if the idea of syncopated rhythms gets your hips and feet moving in a spiffy sort of counterpoint shuffle, then this is the disc for you. For non-dancers and individuals not of a certain ethnic background, it's more of a historical curiosity. As for myself, I typically classify this type of music as "research material", because the only reason I'd ever listen to this again is if I were writing something set in an era and/or locale for which this kind of music would be appropriate, just to get myself in the mood. Otherwise, I can't see myself revisiting this one. It does sound pretty though, I have to admit. "Cha-cha-cha!"

Had I heard it before? I don't think so.
Do I like it? Kind of. A little bit. I guess.
Am I keeping it? Only the Standout Tracks.
Standout Tracks? "3D Mambo", "Llego Mijan", "Hong Kong Mambo", "Mambo Gozon"


No comments:

Post a Comment